The America Reads Challenge is an effort to mobilize an army of reading tutors to ensure that every child can read independently by the end of the third grade. The program has made new increases in Federal Work Study dedicated to tutoring children in reading. Unlike other Work Study arrangements, the America Reads Challenge requires no matching funds from the schools/community agencies where tutors are working.
Recently, Five College America Reads Tutors had over 200 tutors at over 30 different local schools and community agencies, including elementary schools, after-school programs, libraries, and child care services. The response from both the tutors and the work sites has been overwhelmingly positive. One tutor wrote in her evaluation of the program, "I've realized how important it is to read and write with strength and accuracy because it says a lot about who you are." Another tutor wrote ". . . tutoring was a very educational experience for me. I enjoyed helping the children learn to read and developing a trust with the students." Similarly, the work sites have also found a great resource in the program. One site wrote in their evaluation "[the tutor] is a joy to have around. She has been flexible, able to work with different children at different levels, and is wonderfully enthusiastic. We have been delighted to have her work with our students."
If you would like be a part of the Five College America Reads Tutors program, below is a list of required information needed from your school/agency to complete your file.
Please send the following information to:
Jenny Watermill; 413-538-2080
Career Development Center
Mount Holyoke College
50 College Street
South Hadley, MA 01035
- Your School/Agency Mission Statement
- Current Informational Material, including academic calendar and hours of operation (also brochures, handbook, etc.)
- Copy of the listing of your School Committeee Members or Board of Directors
- Copy of your Agency's Massachusetts Tax Exempt Certificate or Federal Internal Revenue Services Letter of Certificate of Non-Profit Status [501(C3)] if applicable
- Job Posting
- School/Agency Information Sheet (this is momentarily unavailable)
- Some of the information you may complete online using forms provided on this website. By clicking on two the links below, you can complete and submit the forms over the internet.
If you have any questions, please contact Janel Johnson; 413-559-5484.