Many courses in addition to those listed below may be eligible for fulfilling the requirements of the Five College Buddhist Studies Certificate. Students are encouraged to consult a Buddhist Studies Program campus advisor to identify courses that are appropriate for their interests.
|Subj Abbr||Course #||Sect #||Course Title||Instructor(s)||Meeting Times||Institution|
|CHINESE||397D||01||ST-Phil & Religion/Chinese Lit||David Schneider||M W F 10:10AM 11:00AM||UMass Amherst|
|RELI||352||01||Buddhist Ethics||Elizabeth Angowski||MW 02:00PM-03:20PM||Amherst College|
|PHI||330||01||SEM:HIST/ PHILOSOPHY:YOGACARA||Jay Garfield||T 01:00-04:00||Smith College|
|PSY||304||01||SEM:PERSONAL WELL BEING||Jamie Hubbard; Philip Peake||Th 03:00-04:50||Smith College|
|REL||304||01||SEM:PERSONAL WELL BEING||Jamie Hubbard; Philip Peake||Th 03:00-04:50||Smith College|
|REL||282||01||VIOLENCE & NON-VIOLENCE/S ASIA||Andy Rotman||TTh 01:00-02:20||Smith College|
|ANT||274||01||THE ANTHROPOLOGY OF RELIGION||Pinky Hota||MW 01:10-02:30||Smith College|
|REL||273||01||INTRO TO MONGOLIAN BUDDHISM||Lhkam Purevjav||Th 07:30-09:30||Smith College|
|BUX||273||01||INTRO TO MONGOLIAN BUDDHISM||Lhkam Purevjav||Th 07:30-09:30||Smith College|
|ANT||253||01||INTRO E ASIAN SOCIET & CULTR||Suzanne Gottschang||TTh 10:30-11:50||Smith College|
|RELIG||241||01||Women and Buddhism||Susanne Mrozik||MW 01:15PM-02:30PM||Mount Holyoke College|
|GNDST||210BD||01||Women and Buddhism||Susanne Mrozik||MW 01:15PM-02:30PM||Mount Holyoke College|
|HST||201||01||THE SILK ROAD & PREMOD EURASIA||Richard Lim||TTh 10:30-11:50||Smith College|
|RELIG||163||01||Introduction to Buddhism||Susanne Mrozik||TTH 02:40PM-03:55PM||Mount Holyoke College|
|REL||161||01||INTRO TO BUDDHIST THOUGHT||Jamie Hubbard||MW 02:40-04:00||Smith College|
|RELI||160||01||Buddhist Psych Modern||Andrew Olendzki||WF 08:30AM-09:50AM||Amherst College|
|HACU||0297||1||Yoga-History, Philosophy, Prac||Alan Hodder||12:30PM-01:50PM TU;12:30PM-01:50PM TH||Hampshire College|
|CSI||0220||1||Buddhism & Environment||Sue Darlington||10:30AM-11:50AM TU;10:30AM-11:50AM TH||Hampshire College|
Smith College Spring 2017 Robed Warriors Student Seminar
Each of the visiting scholars in residence as part of the Smith College Robed Warriors series will lead a seminar open to interested students. Students enrolled attend five seminar meetings:
- October 18 (the ven. Professor Carola Roloff, topic: Life as a nun and issues that women and Westerners face in the Buddhist World)
- February 7 (the ven. Dr. Joan Halifax Roshi, topic: Engaged Buddhism in today’s world)
- February 28 and March 7 (the ven. Dr. Yifa, topic: Buddhism in contemporary China)
- April 10 (the ven. Thubten Chodron, topic: A nun goes to prison: how a Buddhist nun brings compassion to the incarcerated)
Graded S/U only, 1 credit
For more information, visit the Smith College Buddhist Studies homepage.
- To sort by course subject abbreviation, select "Subj Abbr" to sort abbreviations alphabetically.
- To sort by course number, select "Course #"
- To sort by section number, select "Sect #"
- To sort by course title, select "Course Title"
- To sort by home institution, select "Institution"
- Click on the course title to see the course description.