If you have an opportunity to share please email firstname.lastname@example.org or contact us through
Facebook and Instagram.
*Please note newly added or changed oppurtunities in red*
Summer Dance Opportunities and Internships
Ailey Internship -- Applications due date is rolling; depends on term of interest
- Alvin Ailey Dance Foundation, one of the world’s premier dance institutions, has a year-round internship program. They do not provide a stipend, housing, or any other type of compensation. They work with schools so that interns can receive academic credit and are able to take dance and fitness classes at the Ailey Extension at no charge.
- Experiences in Marketing, Development, Special Events, Public Relations, Ailey Arts In Education & Community Programs, Ailey School, Finance, Information Technology, Production, and The Ailey Extension are available.
- When? Fall 2020, and Spring 2021 applications availble
Abraham In Motion Summer Intensive
- Save the Date! Registration opens soon so stay tuned!
- When? August 3-8
- Where? NYC
- American Ballet Theatre’s Internship Program was established in Fall 2010 to provide pre-professional nonprofit work experience for university students and recent graduates. To further expand ethnic and cultural diversity in classical ballet, ABT is committed to facilitating inclusive programs through its Project Plié initiative.
- When? Applicants may apply for one of three semesters: Summer: May 29, 2020 – August 7, 2020; Priority Deadline: February 14, 2020; Final Deadline: March 13, 2020 Fall: September 11, 2020 – December 11, 2020; Priority Deadline: June 19, 2020; Final Deadline: July 24, 2020 Spring: January 22, 2021 – May 21, 2021; Priority Deadline: October 15, 2021; Final Deadline: November 17, 2021
Alonzo King Lines Ballet Summer Program - Still Accepting Applications
- The pre-professional program is designed for aspiring artists ages 17-25, and offers a unified approach to training — rooted in the philosophy of Alonzo King.
- Where? Downtown San Francisco
- When? June 8 - July 3 // Application opens egistration opens early November 2019
ADF Summer School - CANCELLED
ADF Internships - CANCELLED
American Ballet Theater Collegiate Intensive -- Auditions due by February 15th
- Dancers will have daily ballet technique classes and will participate in classes focused on ABT repertory, pointe work, partnering and modern dance. This is a chance for college-aged dancers to further develop their artistic talents in a challenging and professional environment, while intensively training with world-class ABT faculty.
- When? Three-week program (not announced yet)
- Where? ABT Studios, New York City
- The Barnard Department of Dance has a unique relationship with The University of South Florida's Dance in Paris program. Barnard Associate Professor of Professional Practice, teams up with Professor Michael Foley of USF to offer the month long dance intensive in Paris, France.
- When? Program doesn’t look updated since last year; last year ran June 1st to June 30th. Try contacting: email@example.com
Bates Dance Festival School - CANCELLED
Bearnstow - Application Closed
Commedia DelArte -- Study Abroad
- The Commedia Program is an intensive acting workshop that will explore the influence of Commedia in Shakespeare, Molière and television. In residence each summer during the Commedia class is the Continuum Company, a group of NYU Graduate Acting alumni and other artists who come to Florence every summer to develop classical and new works.
- When? Application due date: Early decision: monday dec 2 and regular decision: friday, Feb 28, 2020 at 5pm // Sunday, May 24, 2020, leave Saturday, July 4, 2020
- Where? Florence, Italy
- 2020 NYC SUMMER INTENSIVES:
- When? June 29, 2020 – July 17, 2020 and July 20, 2020 – August 7, 2020 and August 10 – 14, 2020
- David Dorfman Dance Company holds an annual summer intensive.
- Where? Connecticut College
- When? JUNE 28-JULY 3, 2020
DanceJerusalem -- Study Abroad
- DanceJerusalem offers university-level artistic and technical training in the disciplines of Classical Ballet and Contemporary Dance Choreography (including Ohad Naharin’s GaGa).
- Where? Jerusalem Academy of Music and Dance (JAMD) on the Edmund J. Safra Campus on Givat Ram and Hebrew University’s Rothberg International School (RIS)
- When? Autumn: Late August through late January, Spring: January through late June (Check calendar for exact dates)
- Eligibility: 8+ credits and a minimum 3.0 (B) GPA; graduate students also eligible. Audition required.
The Dance Complex - CURRENTLY CLOSED
- Social Media/Communications Internship, Special Events Internship, Non-Profit Arts Administration Internship, Production/Performance Series Internship
- Where? Cambridge, MA
- When? Rolling deadline - Email firstname.lastname@example.org for more information.
- For pre-professional and professional dancers, the Summer Workshop provides three immersive weeks of technical training, creative work, and exposure to the company’s style. Course offerings: Modern Technique & Ballet, Phrase Work, Improvisation, Repertory, Partnering, Choreographic, Devices
- Where? The 2020 Summer Intensive will be held at Skidmore College in June.
- When? SAVE THE DATE and check back shortly for tuition and application details.
- Dean College partners with DanceAbroad Argentina in a unique collaboration for dance students that blends intensive Spanish-language immersion and concentrated studies in dance.
- Where? Argentina, Buenos Aires.
- When? Spring 2020 (and every spring semester): Tuesday, January 21, 2020 to May 16, 2020
- Ecole Des Sables is a place of workshops, residences and opportunities for performing, practicing and experiencing Contemporary African Dance.
- When? Visit the website to contact about potential summer or study abroad opportunities.
- Where? Toubab Dialaw, Senegal
- Students utilize the considerable resources of Edna Manley College to study both traditional Jamaican and modern dance in a semester abroad program through the College of Brockport.
- Where? The Edna Manley College of Visual and Performing Arts in Kingston, Jamaica
- FRESH is a series of performances and workshops, residencies at universities, festivals and studios worldwide. FRESH 2020 features 3 weekends of Performances, 3 weeks and weekends of Practices, and 7+ Exchanges, accessible and inclusive community events, directed by dancer Kathleen Hermesdorf. Takes place in San Francisco from January 6 - 26, 2020.
- No summer program, but try contacting the program directors and organizers for potential internships positions for 2021
- Gibney’s Internship Program offers the opportunity to earn free dance classes with some of the field’s most exciting teachers while gaining exposure to a fast-paced arts-administration environment. All interns represent Gibney during normal operating hours at both the company’s 890 Broadway and 280 Broadway locations, as well as at the organization’s programs and events.
- When? The Gibney Internship requires a 3-month commitment of 18 hours per week. Dates vary; visit website for more info.
- Where? New York City
- Study abroad in Havana, Cuba, on a unique, transformative, and self-driven program. Students must be in their sophomore or junior years and the program is available to Hampshrie and non-Hampshire students.
- When? Spring semester (end of January to end of April)
Jacob’s Pillow Summer School - CANCELLED
Movement Research MELT -- Applications are rolling
- MELT offers ongoing internships during the Fall and Spring seasons, as well as winter and summer internships geared to college and university students and recent graduates. Interns receive free classes and some free workshops. Internships offered: Class Registrar and Studio Coordinator Internship, Office Internships, Critical Correspondence Internships, Performance Journal Internships, Production Internships
- Where? New York City
- The Place is home to the London Contemporary Dance School (LCDS), the Richard Alston Dance Company, a theatre and many classes, courses and programmes for artists. The LCDS has various offerings for undergraduate degrees and postgraduate work: Undergraduate in Contemporary dance: 3 years, MA/PGDIP in contemporary dance: 15 months, MA in screendance: 15 months.
- Where? Bloomsbury, London, UK
- When? Both semesters available // Applications are open for fall 2020 term
- The Performing Arts Research and Training Studios (PARTS) is an international school for contemporary dance and choreography. PARTS is an artistic project, inspired by the multifaceted artistic practice of its founder and director Anne Teresa De Keersmaeker and other choreographers.
- Where? Brussels, Belgium
- When? July 13 -- August 14, 2020.
Ponderosa -- Applications due when positions fill; rolling
- Ponderosa is an art centre/community with various work exchanges, longer stays, jobs, and internships for dancers and artists. Only cooks are a paid position; any other work is in exchange for meals and housing but workshop fees are still required.
- Where? Located in the countryside, an hour by train from Berlin, in the village of Stolzenhagen, Germany
- When? Throughout the summer, various positions are available; visit website
Sarah Lawrence in Berlin -- Application due February 2
- Sarah Lawrence College’s Summer Arts program, students rigorously engage with the actual contextual layers of Berlin’s history. Constantly on-the-go and often working on location, students process and experience classroom material through art-making and individual reflection.
- When? Summer dates: Friday, May 29, to Sat, June 27
Tanz in August
- Tanz in August is Berlin's international festival for contemporary dance. Every year, the festival presented by HAU Hebbel am Ufer invites the audience to experience the full range of dance in four weeks. At many venues throughout the city, the audience can expect productions by international stars and newcomers as well as choreographers from the Berlin scene, including numerous world premieres and German premieres.
- Check website for internship possibilities; contact organizers
- Where? Berlin, Germany
- The Trinity/La MaMa Performing Arts Program in New York City provides full immersion into the NYC theater, dance, and performance communities with the goal of fostering artistic, academic, and personal growth. New York City is the "laboratory" for our studies and artistic explorations.
- When? Has not been updated since 2019. In the past, programs were a semester long, spring or fall.
Please email Program Director Barbara Karger at Barbara.Karger@trincoll.edu or Program Coordinator, Marisa Tornello at Marisa.Tornello@trincoll.edu, or call at 212-598-3058 to inquire about 2020 programs.
Trinity Laban -- Application is a rolling deadline
- This is a study abroad, special programme for students who would like to study at Trinity Laban. Applicants must be currently undertaking a dance programme at, or equivalent, to degree level at their home institution.
- Where? Trinity Laban Conservatoire of Music and Dance, London, UK
- When? Start date is September to December or July, depending on the length of stay (3 to 9 months).
- UBW will be hosting the 20th Summer Leadership Institute (SLI) at Gibney in New York, NY on July 15-18, 2020. The SLI is a 10-day intensive that connects dance professionals, community-based artists and activists in a learning experience that leverages the arts as a vehicle for social activism and civic engagement.
- Visit website, Urban Bush Women for more info and potential opportunities to get involved with the festival and the dance company
The Yard at Martha’s Vineyard -- Application Deadline Feb 1
- The Yard’s internship program focuses on learning and working on the administrative and production facets of a non-profit organization, while also providing opportunities for interns to partake in performance and choreographic/creative experiences. Four positions available: Arts administration, Marketing intern, Technical production interns, Video production intern.
- When? Monday May 18 to sunday, september 7, 2020
**Complete Summer Dance Intensive listing through Dance Spirit Magazine**
Conferences, Classes, and Workshops
Conference: The Body-Mind Centering® Association is hosting it’s 35 th annual conference June 23-28, 2020 at Hobart and William Smith Colleges in Geneva, NY. The conference, on the theme of Resonance, Repatterning, and Revolution, will host over 200 somatic practitioners, movement researchers, and creative activists coming together for over 60 somatic workshops, panels, and performances from a variety of modalities. Pre- and post-workshops with Bebe Miller and other internationally recognized dance faculty, plenary session with Christal Brown, and BMC masterclass with RoseAnn Spradlin.
Five Colleges Dance students can register at the discounted rate of $150 by using coupon code ‘5collegesstudent’. We also have many work-study positions open to further reduce registration and promote access. Faculty and staff may register with a $50 discount by using code 'movewithbmca'. Student discount must be used by May 1. Find more info on the program, registration, and work-study opportunities on our website at bmcassociation.org/conferences/2020 .
- The Gibney Company General Manager is a new full-time executive position at the Gibney organization.
- Mark Morris Dance Group Teaching Artist Auditions
- New York, NY: Mark DeGarmo Dance seeks Teaching Artists
- Brockton, MA: Fuller Craft Museum seeks digital marketing, graphic design, online commerce, and social media interns. Email email@example.com
- University of Maryland Hiring: Sound and Media Technologies Faculty, Halftime Musician w/ Benefits, One year Artist in Residence (with possibility of renewal) *New*
- University of Illinois Department of Dance Hiring: One year Visiting Lecturer/Instructor
- Upcoming deadlines for Project proposals and grants!
- Arts in Medicine: Online Graduate Program, Fall or Spring semesters available
- Call for papers: A Working Symposium hosted by the Dance Studies Association Working Group, Dancing the Long Nineteenth Century - DEADLINE: March 16, 2020
LOCAL/REGIONAL TRAINING AND CLASSES