The following list displays courses offered by members of the Five College Ethnomusicology Committee during the current or upcoming academic year.
- Many courses in addition to those listed below may be eligible towards the Five College Ethnomusicology Certificate. Students are encouraged to consult their campus Ethnomusicology advisor to identify courses that are appropriate for their interests.
- View a list of ethnomusicology-related performance ensembles.
- Individual lessons and non-ensemble performance: Credit-bearing individual lessons and non-ensemble performance opportunities (i.e. special topics courses or thesis work) in an array of musical traditions and genres are available throughout the Five Colleges. Please consult the course catalog of your home institution and with a member of the Five College Ethnomusicology faculty to find the instructor best suited to your interests.
- Five College Ethnomusicology Certificate students: Depending on your area of interest, courses can often fall within more than one of the four course categories required for the certificate. While a single course cannot be counted twice, you should work in close consultation with your campus Ethnomusicology advisor to determine the appropriate allocation of courses within the certificate requirements.
|Subj Abbr||Course #||Sect #||Course Title||Instructor(s)||Meeting Times||Institution|
|MUSI||238||01||PV Soundscapes||Jeffers Engelhardt||TTH 10:00AM-11:20AM||Amherst College|
|MUSI||421||01||Tin Pan Alley||Mitchell Morris||TTH 02:00PM-04:00PM||Amherst College|
|HACU||0148||1||Intro to "Asia"||Junko Oba||10:30AM-11:50AM T,TH||Hampshire College|
|HACU||0205||1||American Strings||Rebecca Miller||02:00PM-03:20PM T,TH;07:00PM-08:15PM M||Hampshire College|
|HACU||0239||1||Jazz Improvisation Orchestra||Carl Clements||06:30PM-09:20PM T||Hampshire College|
|HACU||0302||1||Applied Ethnomusicology||Rebecca Miller||01:00PM-03:50PM W||Hampshire College|
|MUSIC||228||01||African Folk Opera||Olabode Omojola||MW 01:15PM-02:30PM||Mount Holyoke College|
|THEAT||215||02||Topic: African Folk Opera||Olabode Omojola||MW 01:15PM-02:30PM||Mount Holyoke College|
|ANT||258||01||PERFORMING CULTURE||Margaret Sarkissian||TTh 03:00-04:50||Smith College|
|MUS||105||01||ROLL OVER BEETHVN:HIST OF ROCK||Steve Waksman||MW 01:10-02:30||Smith College|
|MUS||202||01||THINKING ABOUT MUSIC||Margaret Sarkissian||MW 02:40-04:00||Smith College|
|MUS||220||01||TOPICS IN WORLD MUSIC||Bode Omojola||TTh 10:30-11:50||Smith College|
|POR||221||01||TOPICS PORT/BRAZ LIT AND CULT||Malcolm McNee||MWF 11:00-12:10||Smith College|
- To sort by course subject abbreviation, select "Subj Abbr" to sort abbreviations alphabetically.
- To sort by course number, select "Course #"
- To sort by section number, select "Sect #"
- To sort by course title, select "Course Title"
- To sort by home institution, select "Institution"
- Click on the course title to see the course description.
Please direct any feedback regarding this course list to Sarah Lince, the Five College Academic Programs Coordinator.