The following list displays courses offered by members of the Five College Ethnomusicology Committee during the current or upcoming academic year.
2016-17 Ethnomusicology Courses (as of February 2016)
- Many courses in addition to those listed below may be eligible towards the Five College Ethnomusicology Certificate. Students are encouraged to consult their campus Ethnomusicology advisor to identify courses that are appropriate for their interests.
- View a sample list of methodology and area studies courses eligible for the certificate.
- View a list of ethnomusicology-related performance ensembles.
- Individual lessons and non-ensemble performance: Credit-bearing individual lessons and non-ensemble performance opportunities (i.e. special topics courses or thesis work) in an array of musical traditions and genres are available throughout the Five Colleges. Please consult the course catalog of your home institution and with a member of the Five College Ethnomusicology faculty to find the instructor best suited to your interests.
- Five College Ethnomusicology Certificate students: Depending on your area of interest, courses can often fall within more than one of the four course categories required for the certificate. While a single course cannot be counted twice, you should work in close consultation with your campus Ethnomusicology advisor to determine the appropriate allocation of courses within the certificate requirements.
|Subj Abbr||Course #||Sect #||Course Title||Instructor(s)||Meeting Times||Institution|
|BLST||204||01||African Popular Music||Olabode Omojola||TTH 11:30AM-12:50PM||Amherst College|
|BLST||244||01||Jazz History After 1945||Jason Robinson||MW 02:00PM-03:20PM||Amherst College|
|MUSI||105||01||African Popular Music||Olabode Omojola||TTH 11:30AM-12:50PM||Amherst College|
|MUSI||227||01||Jazz History After 1945||Jason Robinson||MW 02:00PM-03:20PM||Amherst College|
|HACU||0154||1||Encapsulating Sounds||Junko Oba||10:30AM-11:50AM T,TH||Hampshire College|
|MUSIC||374||01||Adv. Sem. in Ethnomusicology||Olabode Omojola||MW 01:15PM-02:30PM||Mount Holyoke College|
|ANT||258||01||PERFORMING CULTURE||Margaret Sarkissian||TTh 10:30-11:50||Smith College|
|MUS||202||01||THINKING ABOUT MUSIC||Steve Waksman||MW 02:40-04:00||Smith College|
|MUS||258||01||PERFORMING CULTURE||Margaret Sarkissian||TTh 10:30-11:50||Smith College|
|MUS||325||01||SEM: WRITING ABOUT MUSIC||Margaret Sarkissian||TTh 03:00-04:50||Smith College|
- To sort by course subject abbreviation, select "Subj Abbr" to sort abbreviations alphabetically.
- To sort by course number, select "Course #"
- To sort by section number, select "Sect #"
- To sort by course title, select "Course Title"
- To sort by home institution, select "Institution"
- Click on the course title to see the course description.