|Subj Abbr||Course #||Sect #||Course Title||Instructor(s)||Meeting Times||Institution|
|MUSI||226||01||Jazz History to 1945||Jason Robinson||TTH 02:30PM-03:50PM||Amherst College|
|MUSI||238||01||PV Soundscapes||Jeffers Engelhardt||TTH 01:00PM-02:20PM||Amherst College|
|MUSI||449||01||Anthropology of Music||Jeffers Engelhardt||TTH 10:00AM-11:20AM||Amherst College|
|HACU||0233||1||Irish Music||Rebecca (Becky) Miller||12:30PM-01:50PM TU;12:30PM-01:50PM TH||Hampshire College|
|HACU||0246||1||J-Pop and Beyond||Junko Oba||10:30AM-11:50AM TU;10:30AM-11:50AM TH||Hampshire College|
|HACU||0270||1||Music Journalism for Radio||Rebecca (Becky) Miller||01:00PM-03:50PM W||Hampshire College|
|MUSIC||229||01||African Popular Music||Olabode Omojola||MW 01:15PM-02:30PM||Mount Holyoke College|
|MUS||202||01||THINKING ABOUT MUSIC||Steve Waksman||MW 02:40-04:00||Smith College|
|MUS||220||01||TOPICS/WORLD MUSIC: W. AFRICA||Bode Omojola||TTh 10:30-11:50||Smith College|
|MUSIC||102||01||Afro-American Music||Shigefumi Tomita||TU TH 8:00AM 9:15AM||UMass Amherst|
The following list displays courses offered by members of the Five College Ethnomusicology Committee during the current or upcoming academic year.
2016-17 Ethnomusicology Courses (as of March 2016)
- Many courses in addition to those listed below may be eligible towards the Five College Ethnomusicology Certificate. Students are encouraged to consult their campus Ethnomusicology advisor to identify courses that are appropriate for their interests.
- View a sample list of methodology and area studies courses eligible for the certificate.
- View a list of ethnomusicology-related performance ensembles.
- Individual lessons and non-ensemble performance: Credit-bearing individual lessons and non-ensemble performance opportunities (i.e. special topics courses or thesis work) in an array of musical traditions and genres are available throughout the Five Colleges. Please consult the course catalog of your home institution and with a member of the Five College Ethnomusicology faculty to find the instructor best suited to your interests.
- Five College Ethnomusicology Certificate students: Depending on your area of interest, courses can often fall within more than one of the four course categories required for the certificate. While a single course cannot be counted twice, you should work in close consultation with your campus Ethnomusicology advisor to determine the appropriate allocation of courses within the certificate requirements.
- To sort by course subject abbreviation, select "Subj Abbr" to sort abbreviations alphabetically.
- To sort by course number, select "Course #"
- To sort by section number, select "Sect #"
- To sort by course title, select "Course Title"
- To sort by home institution, select "Institution"
- Click on the course title to see the course description.