- Many courses in addition to those listed below may be eligible towards the Five College Ethnomusicology Certificate. Students are encouraged to consult their campus Ethnomusicology advisor to identify courses that are appropriate for their interests.
- View a sample list of methodology and area studies courses eligible for the certificate.
- View a list of ethnomusicology-related performance ensembles.
- Individual lessons and non-ensemble performance: Credit-bearing individual lessons and non-ensemble performance opportunities (i.e. special topics courses or thesis work) in an array of musical traditions and genres are available throughout the Five Colleges. Please consult the course catalog of your home institution and with a member of the Five College Ethnomusicology faculty to find the instructor best suited to your interests.
- Five College Ethnomusicology Certificate students: Depending on your area of interest, courses can often fall within more than one of the four course categories required for the certificate. While a single course cannot be counted twice, you should work in close consultation with your campus Ethnomusicology advisor to determine the appropriate allocation of courses within the certificate requirements.
Please note that course offerings may change and lists may be updated, so it is helpful to check back regularly.
Please check the Five College Academic Calendar for important dates on each campus.
- To sort by home institution, select "Institution"
- To sort by course subject abbreviation, select "Subj Abbr" to sort abbreviations alphabetically.
- To sort by course number, select "Course #"
- To sort by section number, select "Sect #"
- To sort by course title, select "Course Title"
- Click on the course title to see the course description.
- Note that a list may contain multiple pages. If there is more than one page, use the controls at the bottom to view different pages.
|Subj Abbr||Course #||Sect #||Course Title||Instructor(s)||Meeting Times||Institution|
|MUSI||244||01||Methods of Analysis||Jeffers Engelhardt||MW 01:30PM-02:50PM||Amherst College|
|HACU||0265||1||Encapsulating Sounds||Junko Oba||02:30PM-03:50PM M;02:30PM-03:50PM W||Hampshire College|
|MUSIC||226||01||World Music||Olabode Omojola||MW 01:45PM-03:00PM||Mount Holyoke College|
|ANT||258||01||Performing Culture||Margaret Sarkissian||M W 10:50 AM - 12:05 PM||Smith College|
|MUS||258||01||Performing Culture||Margaret Sarkissian||M W 10:50 AM - 12:05 PM||Smith College|
Elective courses are negotiated in consultation with the student's ethnomusicology advisor, including courses from related disciplines including: anthropology, sociology, history, or media studies; area studies fields such as African Studies, American Studies, Asian Studies, or Middle East Studies; or others related to a particular student's ethnomusicological interests.