Amherst College, Hampshire College, Mount Holyoke College, Smith College and the University of Massachusetts Amherst facilitate faculty exchanges and faculty borrowing to share experienced faculty members who can help other campuses meet curricular needs and to increase the experiences of faculty members with the rich intellectual resources at the other colleges in the Five College Consortium, particularly with counterpart departments and programs.
The process of a faculty exchange or a faculty borrow begins with a consultation between the department chair at the borrowing campus and the faculty member the chair hopes to borrow. Since each campus has restrictions on outside employment of its full-time faculty members during the academic year, any arrangement for exchanging or borrowing faculty members needs approval of the department chairs and deans at both campuses. Since a Five College faculty exchange or borrowing arrangement might not be approved, it is essential that the consultation and approval processes be started early enough to gain the necessary approvals before a class with an exchanged or borrowed faculty member is listed in the schedule of classes. Since the review and approval process may take 3–4 weeks, the department head (school dean at Hampshire) seeking to recruit a faculty colleague from another campus should start the process in September for classes the following Spring and in February for classes the following Fall. The pay rate for a borrowed faculty member is set by the borrowing campus; before proposing a pay rate, the department chair of the borrowing institution should consult with the dean at that institution about the pay rate to be proposed. The stipend will be paid by the lending campus which will be reimbursed by the borrowing campus for the stipend and any associated fringe benefits as determined by the lending campus.
Instructions and Steps to be Followed in the Approval Process: n.b. A course should not be listed in the schedule of classes until the approval process has been completed.
- The department head at the borrowing institution invites a faculty member to consider teaching at the borrowing institution. The faculty member consults the general policies on the campus where the course is to be offered (available here). If the faculty member is interested in being borrowed, the following steps should be completed in the order listed (each person completing a section of the form and forwarding the original form to the next person listed).
- The faculty member to be borrowed speaks to the department head of the lending institution about the proposal.
- If the department head of the lending institution is favorably inclined, the faculty member to be borrowed completes Part I of the form and submits it to the department head at the lending institution.
- The department head of the lending institution signs the form in Part II recommending approval of the borrowing arrangement and sends the form to the Dean at the lending institution.
- The Dean of Faculty/Provost or designee of the lending institution considers the proposal and either (1) approves the request signing in Part II and forwards the form to the department head of the borrowing institution, or (2) decides not to approve the proposal and notifies the faculty member and the department head at the lending institution and the department head at the borrowing institution. Of course, in cases of uncertainty or disagreement, the Dean at the lending institution may wish to discuss the proposal with the faculty member and department head at the lending institution. For a list of campus deans and provosts to contact, go to https://www.fivecolleges.edu/faculty/faculty_exchange/contacts.
- The department head of the borrowing institution inserts the stipend amount (only for overtime borrowing) in the parts of Part III of the form, signs the appropriate line in Part III recommending approval of the arrangement, and forwards the form to the Provost or Dean, or designee, of the borrowing institution.
- The Provost or Dean or designee of the borrowing institution signs the form in the last part of Part III indicating approval of the arrangement and forwards the form to the Executive Director of Five Colleges, Incorporated. If the Provost or Dean or designee of the borrowing institution does not approve the recommended borrowing arrangement, notice of that disapproval should be sent to the department heads at both institutions, the faculty member, and the Dean at the lending institution.
- The Five College Executive Director completes and signs Part IV and distributes copies to everyone as indicated on the form, attaching a copy of the general policies that apply.