The Charles Mark Scholarship for the Study of Czech in the Czech Republic and Other Slavic Languages
This scholarship supports undergraduate students at any of the Five Colleges who are studying Czech through the Five College Center for World Languages. The goal of this support is to encourage students to continue study of Czech in the Czech Republic. The award can be used for travel to or living expenses in the Czech Republic.
When no students of Czech apply or are qualified, applications will be considered from students studying other Slavic languages, in the following order of preference: Slovak; Bosnian-Serbian-Croatian; Slovenian; Macedonian; Bulgarian; Ukrainian; Belorussian.
Students are encouraged to focus on the spoken language by finding accommodation with a family or living in a youth dormitory. The support can also be used by students who are teaching English in a foreign country and who are interested in improving their proficiency in an official language of the country.
- Priority will be given to students who are studying or have studied Czech with the Five College Center for World Languages. Applications from students of other Slavic languages will be considered in the order of preference indicated above.
- Applicants must have studied the target language for at least one semester or the equivalent.
- Applicants can be from any of the Five Colleges and of any class year.
- Applicants must be on campus during the semester the scholarship is awarded. Scholarships are not awarded to students who are already abroad.
- Upon completion of the study abroad experience, scholarship recipients must write a two-page report of their language acquisition activities and submit it to the Five College Center for World Languages.
- The application cycle for 2020-21 is closed. Please check back here or contact the Center for information about applying next year.
- If you are eligible and interested to apply, please email email@example.com to receive an application.
- Scholarships are awarded in the spring semester and may be used for study abroad the following summer or the following academic year.
This scholarship was generously endowed in 2008 by Professor Emeritus Charles Mark, a long-time supporter of the Five College Center for World Languages, its mission and its students. We are very grateful to Dr. Mark for his support. Read more about Dr. Mark in his biography.