The Charles Mark Scholarship for Foreign Language Study in its Target Country
This scholarship supports undergraduate and graduate students at the University of Massachusetts Amherst who are studying any of the languages offered through the Five College Center for World Languages. The goal of this support is to encourage students to study the chosen language in a country where it is spoken. The award can be used for travel to or living expenses in the target-language country. Students are encouraged to focus on the spoken language by finding accommodation with a family or living in a youth dormitory. The support can also be used by students who are teaching English in a foreign country and who are interested in improving their proficiency in an official language of the country.
- Applicants must be currently studying or have previously studied a language through the Center.
- Applicants must be currently enrolled in a degree program (undergraduate or graduate) at the University of Massachusetts Amherst.
- Applicants must be enrolled at UMass when the scholarship is awarded. Scholarships are not awarded to students who are already abroad.
- Applicants must return to UMass for at least one semester following the completion of their study abroad experience. Graduating seniors are not eligible.
- Upon completion of their study abroad experience, scholarship recipients must write a two-page report of their language acquisition activities and submit it to the Five College Center for World Languages.
Statement on the pandemic:
The global coronavirus pandemic is likely to continue to disrupt travel plans throughout 2021 and possibly beyond. Any student provisionally awarded a scholarship must have their plans vetted by the International Programs Office before the award can be finalized to ensure that appropriate plans are in place for health, safety, and adherence to relevant protocols.
- The application cycle for 2020-21 is closed. Please check back here or contact the Center for information about applying next year.
- Complete the application form and submit it to firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Scholarships are awarded in the spring semester and may be used for study abroad the following summer or the following academic year.
This scholarship was generously endowed in 2008 by Professor Emeritus Charles Mark, a long-time supporter of the Five College Center for World Languages, its mission and its students. We are very grateful to Dr. Mark for his support. Read more about Dr. Mark in his biography.