The 24th Annual Five College Student Film Festival (2018) will take place on Friday, February 23 at 7:00pm, and will be held at Mount Holyoke College (Gamble Auditorium).
Follow us on Facebook for more info:
About the Festival
Founded in 1994, the Five College Student Film and Video Festival is an annual event featuring original films and videos by Five College students. The festival has become an important venue for film students to meet, collaborate and share their productions with their peers and with the Five College film community.
Students from each of the Five Colleges organize the festival with the assistance of a Student Director from the host college and a faculty advisor. The festival, which is sponsored by the Five College Film Council, is held each year during the Spring semester. Submissions are evaluated by a jury of students and faculty members from each campus. Selected works are shown at the festival and awards are given.
Prizes will be awarded to winning films and videos selected from the submitted pool and screened at the festival. This year, prizes for outstanding work will be given titles based on jury evaluation (i.e. "most outstanding ____"), reasons for their selection will be provided, and one will be named best of festival!
- For all inquiries, please do not hesitate to contact firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Deadline: entries must be submitted by 3:00 p.m. February 15, 2018.
- Acceptable screening formats include digital files (primarily through Vimeo) as well as 16mm and Super 8 film prints. Entry submissions for 16mm and Super 8 should be on Vimeo links. If you are notified that your entry is selected for the festival, film prints must be delivered to the Student Director, so please mark this on the submission form and promptly email email@example.com to coordinate this (otherwise we will not have your film print to project).
- Acceptable submission formats include: online through Vimeo, through Google Drive, or on DVD as a last avenue.
- For submitting on Vimeo (highly recommended):
- Very simple instructions for compressing, exporting, and uploading your video on Vimeo can be found here: http://vimeo.com/help/compression. You can also go to your campus media services desk for help. (ATS at Amherst, Media Lab at Hampshire, Media Services at MHC, Center for Media Production at Smith, OIT at UMass.)
- Remember to click the box that will allow us to DOWNLOAD your video from Vimeo! You can do this under SETTINGS/PRIVACY. If you do not do this, your entry will be disqualified as we will not be able to screen it.
- Also remember to include your name, the title of your piece, and the total running time on the Vimeo page.
- For submitting on DVD (only recommended for longer works of up to 20 minutes maximum):
- Please verify that your DVD plays on all systems.
- Please CLEARLY LABEL your entry with your name, your email address, the title of the work, and the total running time.
- To submit a DVD entry, you must mark this in the submission form and then email firstname.lastname@example.org to coordinate this (please do this concurrently with your submission form). We can easily arrange for you to either drop off your work at your college's media center or give it to a student juror.
- If for whatever reason you cannot submit your work on Vimeo, Google Drive, or DVD, or you have other inquiries, please contact the student director at email@example.com as soon as possible and prior to the submission deadline.
- Film/Video Length: The festival is not able to screen works longer than 20 minutes. However, you may submit an excerpt from a longer work as long as that excerpt is 20 minutes or under. Please note that even as much as 20 minutes is a substantial piece of a 2-3 hour festival; thus 20 is maximum submission length.
- Jury Selection: Submission does not mean that your work will be screened at the festival. A jury composed of students and professors from all Five Colleges will view each of the submissions, and carefully select films which are found to be outstanding, innovative, and/or valuable to this year’s festival. You will be notified by email if your work has been selected for screening at the 24th Annual (2018) Five College Student Film Festival!
- Student Work: Submissions can only be made by students currently enrolled at Amherst College, Hampshire College, Mount Holyoke College, Smith College or the University of Massachusetts Amherst (undergraduate or graduate students). Submission must be made by person(s) with some role of primary creative control on the project. This does not mean you must be “the director;” primary creative contribution can take various other forms. You will simply be asked in the submission form to list your involvement and credits. Work from graduated seniors is acceptable if it was produced during enrollment (email firstname.lastname@example.org if in doubt).
- $5 application fee (per entry) must be paid through PayPal. You will be prompted to pay when submitting the entry form.
- Submissions will only be screened if the fee has been paid.
- Students may submit up to two works, but we can only select one piece per student. You must pay the $5 application fee for each work submitted.