This procedure shows you how to add links in content that lead to files, which you have already added to your File uploads page. Learn more about your File uploads page and the process for adding files to it.
How do I add links to text in the Editor tool that allow visitors to download files added as File uploads:
- Go to your File uploads page. If you are logged in, this page will display in the side menu of your site with the name "File uploads (hidden)."
- Locate the file you want visitors to download. If you don't see it, one of two things may have happened. First, you may not have added the file (learn how to add a file to your File uploads page). Second, you may have more items added to your File uploads page than your File uploads page has been designated to display. If that's the case, you will see linked numbers and other navigation buttons at the bottom of your File uploads page, which lead to automatically generated pages where you can view more items. Your file may be listed under one of these automatic pages.
You can change the number of items allowed to display on your File uploads age by going to Page Settings and clicking on "Appearance" in the gray menu and changing the selection under "Pieces of content to display at one time."
- While looking at the item, right-click or control-click (single-button Mac mouse) in the file name. In the example below, the title of the File upload is "FCI 2012-2013 Holiday Schedule" and the file name is "2012-2013_Holiday_Schedule.pdf".
- A menu will appear where you can choose an option to copy the link. The wording of this option may be different in different browsers. You are basically looking for an option that allows you to copy the address of the file rather than the text displaying the file name and also rather than an option to download the file. In the example below, "Copy Link" is the correct choice.
- Go to the page containing the content where you want to add the link and Add or Edit a content item where you want to add the link.
- In the Editor tool, find the text (or add text) you want to link. Select the text, then click the "Insert/Edit link" icon. The "Insert/Edit link" window appears.
- In the Link/URL field, paste what you copied in step 4.
- Delete "https://www.fivecolleges.edu" from the URL by selecting it and hitting Backspace or Delete.
- Click the "Insert" button to save the link.
- Continue editing the content as needed and click the Save button at the bottom of the page when you're finished.