Job Title: Director for Academic Programs (Interim Appointment)
Term: Starting no later than June 1, 2017 (start date of April 1, 2017 preferred) through June 30, 2019; possible extension or renewal.
Status: Full-time exempt, 12-month year
Supervisor: Executive Director of Five Colleges, Incorporated
General Description:The Director of Academic Programs works closely with the Executive Director to oversee and manage all academic partnerships and programs in the consortium. Serves as a senior executive of the Consortium along with the Executive Director and the Treasurer. Interim position through June 2019 with possible extension.
Importance of Diversity to our Educational Mission: Five Colleges, Incorporated and its five associated institutions (Amherst, Hampshire, Mount Holyoke and Smith Colleges and the University of Massachusetts Amherst) are committed to supporting and sustaining a diversity of people, backgrounds, experiences, ideas and points of view for the essential contribution this diversity makes to educational missions of our organizations. In support of this commitment Five Colleges requires all of its employees to work cooperatively and effectively with the diversity of people at the colleges and university (students, faculty members, other employees) and within the organization itself.
- Serves as a member of the senior executive staff of FCI working on staff policies and management issues and strategic initiatives, working closely with the Executive Director and Treasurer and making executive decisions in their absence.
- Provides leadership for teams of the senior staff members of FCI working on projects.
- Helps to develop and facilitate new academic programs and academic initiatives (departments, majors, certificates, centers, collaborations, faculty seminars and events) for the consortium.
- Manages grants that support the academic programs of the Consortium, including working with grant project directors, overseeing expenditures, and preparing stewardship reports.
- Meets regularly with the Five College Deans Council, takes minutes of the meetings, and implements projects and programs for the Deans, particularly the oversight of the Five College Joint Faculty programs and Five College joint academic programs and grant-funded initiatives.
- Oversees and effectively supervises a staff of FC academic program associates who serve, along with the Director, as FCI staff liaisons to many Five College academic councils and committees as designated by the FCI Executive Director, including those offering Five College Certificates and Five College majors.
- Liaisons offer support as needed through ensuring meetings are held, occasionally serving as meeting facilitators; ensuring minutes and update reports are provided when needed, including annual reports; ensuring that periodic self-studies are conducted; contributing to discussions, occasionally carrying out projects for them; helping to plan events monitoring budget proposals and expenditures; ensuring policies are followed, and reporting to and consulting with the FCI Executive Director about the activities proposed by and conducted by each group.
- Oversees the management of FCI funds and grants supporting collaborative academic activities, notably the Faculty Seminar Fund and the Lecture Fund, and the programs using endowment income, and grant-funded academic program, effectively supervising grant-funded personnel.
- Serves as the FCI liaison to and member of faculty committees, councils and academic panels at the University of Massachusetts Amherst as designated by the FCI Executive Director.
- Meets regularly with the Five College Deans and the Five College Registrars, and joint faculty support committees, to monitor the interchange of students and the exchange and sharing of faculty members, working to smooth their Five College experiences.
- Meets regularly with other Five College administrative groups to facilitate communication and cooperative endeavors as assigned by the FCI Executive Director.
- Assists in coordinating the Five College Academic Calendar.
- Supervises and evaluates professional and student staff members who support the academic programs.
- Effectively supervises and evaluates shared administrative support staff members.
- Ensures that the activities of committees, councils, and administrative groups are accurately documented and properly archived.
- Works to ensure that Five College policies and procedures are documented and followed, working in close collaboration with the other senior executives of FCI.
- Completes other duties as assigned by the Executive Director.
- Post-baccalaureate degree
- Experience facilitating group meetings
- Excellent communication skills -- oral and written
- Ability to work effectively with diverse groups of faculty members and administrators
- Ph.D., Ed.D. or equivalent
- Experience in any of the following:
- As a full-time faculty member at a college or university
- Facilitating faculty group activities
- Writing grant proposals and grant management
- Working in collaborative environment
- Maintaining web site content
- As a college or university administrator
- Working with college and university faculty members or administrators
- Supervising staff members
Five Colleges particularly encourages applications from members of groups under-represented in our higher education workforce.
Review of applications will begin January 4, 2017 and will continue until the position is filled. Please supply c.v. and letter of interest in the position. To apply (You will be taken to the Smith College jobs portal.)