IT Technologist (Post-Baccalaureate)
The Five College Consortium seeks an IT Technologist to work with the Five Colleges, Incorporated (FCI) IT team, FCI staff, and members of the Five College Consortium to support and develop resources for FCI staff and Five College IT projects and initiatives. This position is part of the Five College initiative to support recent graduates interested in gaining experience using technologies to enhance and promote technology adoption in the workplace and in the learning communities.
This is a full-time, non-exempt, benefited, 13-month position beginning on June 1, 2021, and ending on June 30, 2022, with the possibility of a one-year extension. This position is intended to be an in-person onsite role that may begin as a remote position due to pandemic-related restrictions.
The Post-Baccalaureate Technologist works with the FCI IT Team, FCI staff, and members of the Five College Consortium to support and develop resources for FCI staff and Five College IT projects and initiatives. This position is part of the Five College initiative to support recent graduates interested in gaining experience using technologies to enhance and promote technology adoption in the workplace and in the learning communities. Opportunities for additional professional growth and development, and support for related training can be provided.
Importance of Diversity
Five Colleges, Incorporated and its five associated institutions (Amherst, Hampshire, Mount Holyoke and Smith Colleges and the University of Massachusetts Amherst) are committed to supporting and sustaining a diversity of people, backgrounds, experiences, ideas and points of view for the essential contribution this diversity makes to educational missions of our organizations. In support of this commitment Five Colleges requires all of its employees to work cooperatively and effectively with the diversity of people at the colleges (students, faculty members, other employees) and within the organization itself.
- Work closely with the Director of IT and Enterprise Initiatives, the FCI IT Team, and FCI staff to support technology usage in the workplace
- Track, resolve, and document user issues via FCI’s helpdesk and self-help guides
- Add information and functionality to a web-based inventory of assets
- Help introduce new technologies or new ways of using technologies in the workplace
- Provide support for report-writing, documentation, presentations, and workshops (synchronous and asynchronous)
- Help support FCI IT systems to ensure proper operations, security, and integrity of information
- Attend meetings as assigned, serving as FCI support liaison and/or minute taker as needed
- Other related duties as assigned
- Bachelor’s degree from one of the Five College institutions, awarded within one academic year
- Demonstrated experience working with Google Suite and Microsoft Office suite
- Demonstrated interest in and ability to stay current on new technologies and tools and to learn new tasks and emergent technologies quickly
- Demonstrated interest in and ability to help others learn new technologies and processes
- Experience contributing to and participating in team projects
- Ability to manage a disparate set of assignments with flexibility and good sense of humor
- Strong oral and written communication skills
- A record of accomplishment in coursework across the liberal arts
- Capacity to meet the physical expectations of the position, which include:
- Ability to comprehend written and verbal communication
- Ability to evaluate printed materials and technical issues as presented on-screen
- Ability to communicate effectively in person, by telephone, and via email
- Ability to pack, unpack, and move up to 40 lbs. to install or relocate computer equipment including monitors, desktop computers, and printers
- Ability to pass a post-offer background check
- Working knowledge of Linux and shell
- Working knowledge of Drupal
- Demonstrated work with Git or another version control system, Trello, and #Slack
- Demonstrated work with image, video, and audio editing
For priority consideration, please apply by April 30. Apply via the Smith College job portal. For your application to be considered complete, please be sure to upload two documents before submitting the application: (1) a current resume and (2) a cover letter. Review of applications will continue until the position is filled.