This position is not currently accepting applications.
Job Title: Program Coordinator, Five College Dance
Status: Part-time, 44-week (August 15-June 15), non-exempt, benefitted
Supervisor: Director, Five College Dance
General Statement of Duties:
The Five College Dance Program Coordinator supports all aspects of the organizational and business management of the Five College Dance department, and provides administrative support for the Director. The Program Coordinator will also be a key collaborator and thought partner for the Director, helping to creatively manage and support a unique, multifaceted dance program.
Founded in 1974, Five College Dance (FCD) is an innovative collaboration between the dance departments of Amherst, Hampshire, Mount Holyoke, and Smith Colleges and the University of Massachusetts Amherst. FCD member departments honor, respect, and support the individual perspectives of each campus, while collectively championing the imaginative, expressive powers of human movement. With five different schools, seven dance degree programs, seventeen fully produced concerts and over a hundred studio and theory courses each year, FCD is the largest dance department in New England, and home to a range of curricular and performing offerings unparalleled in liberal arts colleges anywhere in the nation. The campuses’ collaboration allows for rich, varied curricular and performance opportunities across schools available to all Five College students regardless of skill level or major.
Importance of Diversity to our Educational Mission: Five Colleges, Incorporated and its five associated institutions (Amherst, Hampshire, Mount Holyoke and Smith Colleges and the University of Massachusetts Amherst) are committed to supporting and sustaining a diversity of people, backgrounds, experiences, ideas and points of view for the essential contribution this diversity makes to educational missions of our organizations. In support of this commitment Five Colleges requires all of its employees to work cooperatively and effectively with the diversity of people at the colleges (students, faculty members, other employees) and within the organization itself.
- Facilitate communication and collaboration between the five dance departments’ faculty, staff, and students, and between FCD members and any external partners (professional organizations, visiting artists and scholars, non-FCD faculty and staff)
Help Director manage logistical and operational aspects of the department. This includes:
- Initiate and follow up on financial transactions
- Assist the Director in expense tracking
- Assist the Director with grant proposal preparation, specifically budgets
- Create and regularly update FCD course schedule
- Regularly update FCD’s website, including events calendar
- Coordinate production of weekly FCD e-newsletter
- Schedule meetings and take minutes, as needed
- Assist with hiring and oversight of work-study student(s)
- Serve as point of contact for hired musicians
- Help Director collect and manage data
- Assist Director in coordinating logistics for any grant-funded FCD special projects
Event and Project Management
- Assist Director in scheduling, organizing, and facilitating FCD events (e.g., annual fall lecture, alumni career panels, guest artist residencies, UMass FAC master classes, special events, auditions)
- Assist Director in hosting visiting scholars and artists, coordinating schedules, lodging, and travel
- Gather and compile information from FCD faculty, staff, and students for publicity efforts driven by the Director and the FCI communications unit
- Acquire publicity materials for individual campuses’ events and distribute to the other four campuses, in collaboration with FCI communications unit
- File FCI agreements, contracts, and MOUs; track contractual obligations, including relevant deadlines, renewals, and expiration dates
- Adhere to FCI records management policies and practices
Other related duties as assigned.
- Excellent organizational and problem-solving skills, with attention to detail and nuance
- Capacity to juggle simultaneous projects on different timelines and scales
- Proactive and self-driven yet highly collaborative, flexible, and comfortable working in a team
- Proficient with MS Office software (Word, Excel), and Google Suite (Docs, Sheets)
- Strong financial management and documentation skills
- Able to work closely, flexibly, diplomatically, and confidentially with a diverse community of faculty members, administrators, and students from distinct institutions
- Strong interpersonal skills, and excellent communication abilities, both written and spoken
- Highly responsive and communicative with both internal and external stakeholders
- Experience working in a college or university environment
- Experience using social media (Facebook, Instagram) on behalf of an organization
- Website content management experience
- Arts administration experience
- Enthusiasm for dance and performance
- Demonstrated sensitivity and support for the work of performance artists
- Understanding of and capacity to enrich the Five College cooperative mission
Review of applications will continue until the position is filled. For priority consideration, apply by October 11 via Smith College's employment site. As part of the application be sure to upload two documents: (1) a current resume and (2) a cover letter.