Interested in pursuing the certificate? Submit the Five College Native American and Indigenous Studies Certificate Student Interest Form online.
The Five College Certificate in Native American and Indigenous Studies (NAIS) is available to students at Amherst, Hampshire, Mount Holyoke, and Smith colleges and the University of Massachusetts Amherst. Please note that the certificate cannot be completed online.
In pursuing the Five College Certificate in Native American and Indigenous Studies, you will:
- Learn the depth and breadth of Indigenous methodologies and their applications to the most pressing issues of today
- Critically approach the field through engagement with Native and Indigenous intellectual traditions, histories and cultures
- Undertake meaningful research in archives, on the land and with communities
- Work with leading scholars across multiple fields, as well as with visiting tribal scholars
- Understand the unique sovereign status of Native and Indigenous peoples, the complexity of Indigenous legal and political systems and the many facets of U.S. and international law and policy
If you're considering working with Indigenous people as a teacher or social worker, in business or tribal administration, the Certificate Program is a good idea for you. The NAIS Certificate also gives you the right background for graduate study or research in Indigenous studies and related fields.