2015 Professional Learning Community Report
The WMMP's 2015 PLCs (Spring and Fall) enrolled 125 educators in five PLCs located in Springfield, Westfield, Easthampton, Northampton, and Amherst.
Click here for a summary of participant evaluations of the Spring 2015 PLC experience.
Watch this space for news of fall 2015 activities for mathematics educators, coming soon!
2015 Summer Institute Report
The Western Massachusetts Mathematics Partnership (WMMP) offered an exciting two-day summer institute for 65 math educators from kindergarten through college. Expert facilitators who are mathematics educators themselves provided themed workshops and sessions. See the program flyer below for program details.
Highlights of the program:
- Group Problem-Solving and Math Practice Standards 1, 2, 3, and 7
- Demystifying Division
- Sources of Struggle in the Math Classroom for Students with Disabilities
- Using Manipulatives to Explore Algebraic Thinking
- Creating Equivalent Expressions Using the Operations
To obtain materials from the Summer Institute, contact Marla Solomon.
The Five College Schools Partnership is looking for an energetic researcher/writer with strong social media and technology skills to assist with communications and website content development for its current projects. The Communications Coordinator will assist the Partnership Director in researching, writing, and editing content for two project websites under development; updating and maintaining the Partnership webpage; publishing the quarterly Partnership News e-newsletter; and updating and posting on the Partnership Facebook page.
Major tasks include:
- Research, review/edit and/or write web content, as appropriate;
- Use content management system to update the Partnership webpage and two project websites;
- Create and update three quarterly editions of the Partnership e-newsletter;
- Cultivate new content on the Partnership Facebook page and possibly other social media.
Approximate Number of Hours: 8-10 hours per week; schedule is flexible but work will take place at Five Colleges offices, 97 Spring Street, Amherst.
- Experience with web content management;
- Experience developing and using social media (esp. Facebook, Twitter);
- Good attention to detail;
- Ability to follow a project through to completion.
- Strong writing, editing, and research skills;
- Interest in K-12 education.
Also helpful, but not required:
- Experience with Constant Contact and/or other e-newsletter software;
- Experience with Drupal web content management systems.
Hourly Wage: $11.00/hour. Candidates must be eligible for work-study.
How to Apply: Please send an email explaining your interest in the position, your resume, a writing sample, and a link to one social media site you have created or managed to Marla Solomon, Director of Partnership Programs, at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Application Deadline: September 9, 2015. Applications accepted until position filled.