Film Projects - Insurance Requirements

General Liability Insurance

Students who are making films on off-campus locations will typically be required to provide evidence of general liability insurance. If the film is being produced as part of an academic program, such as a class, independent study, honors thesis, or other approved academic work, the College's general liability insurance will be extended to cover the student’s activities.

Certificates of Insurance

A certificate of insurance must be requested from the Risk Manager with at least 10 working days notice. Included with the certificate request the student must provide:

  • The name of the party requesting the certificate, including their address, an individual contact name and their email address, telephone and fax number.
  • Details on the filming event, including location, dates of filming and any unusual or dangerous activities.
  • The name of your faculty supervisor on the project and her/his contact information.

Learn more about requesting certificates of insurance.

Film Production Insurance

Film Production Insurance may be needed. If you are renting equipment, hiring SAG actors or doing a major film production you will need to secure your own Film Production Insurance as part of the project. Five College Risk Management may be able to assist you in arranging contacts with specialty companies for film insurance programs. Alternatively, you may consider contacting one of the insurance companies below depending on the size and scope of your project.

For Smaller Projects

Film Emporium
244 Madison Avenue, #2280
New York, NY 10016
Tel: 914-833-2433 or 800-371-2555 

Reiff & Associates 
320 West 57th Street
New York, NY 10019
Tel: 212-603-0231 or 800-827-7363

For Larger Projects

DeWitt Stern Group, Inc.
420 Lexington Avenue, Suite 2700
New York, NY 10170
Tel: 212-297-1427
Mobile: 646-229-4453
Fax: 212-573-4097