Policies on Student Liability, Property and Insurance


The following information is provided to inform students and parents about the insurance coverage that the College may purchase, and how the coverage may apply to students. The descriptions of coverage are not intended to, nor do they supplement, amend or modify any insurance policy terms and conditions. The College reserves the right at all times to modify its insurance coverage, terms, conditions and limits without notice to any person or entity, including students, faculty or staff. Students may wish to make adjustments in their own coverages if they feel that it would be appropriate to their interests.


The Commonwealth of Massachusetts requires that all students carry health insurance while attending College. The College provides a Student Health Insurance Plan that meets or exceeds the state requirements. The program is a “hard waiver” program, which means that students are automatically enrolled and billed for the Student Health Insurance Plan  unless they waive the coverage in accordance with the plan requirements. For details of your College’s program, see Amherst, Hampshire, Mount Holyoke or Smith.

Student health  insurance is now comparable to most employer type health insurance programs. Nevertheless, the policy conditions, including co-pays and deductibles may result in a student incurring charges for some medical care. The College is not responsible for any deductibles, co-payments, medical, dental, or surgical expenses not covered or limited by the College’s Student Health Insurance Plan  or any deductibles, co-payments, medical, dental or surgical expenses not covered or limited by the student’s own insurance plan , all Claims are handled by the claims administrator. The staff at Student Health Services may provide assistance with claims problems. The program is a managed care program, so in the event of an injury or sickness, the insured student should, if at school, immediately report to the Student Health Service. If the student is away from school, consult your doctor, and follow their instructions. Report all claims to the program administrator (see the plan brochure for information) and follow their instructions.

Intercollegiate and Club Sports

Intercollegiate and club sports athletes have additional benefits available under certain policies which are purchased on their behalf by the College. Coverage applies to athletes who are injured while in organized competition or practice, which is constructively supervised, or traveling to or from one of these events.  For details of your College’s program, see Amherst, Hampshire, Mount Holyoke or Smith.

The College accepts no responsibility for any losses, costs or expenses not covered by the insurance policies listed above, whether by coverage terms or exclusions or the injured student's failure to comply with policy required claims procedures.

For a complete description of NCAA-deductible coverage and Club Catastrophic Coverages provided for athletes, contact the Athletics Department. For the NCAA catastrophic coverage, see NCAA.

Travel Accident

The College provides limited travel accident insurance, including medical evacuation and repatriation to students traveling on College or academic business, worldwide. Worldwide travel assistance services are also available. For more information, see Travel Accident & Assistance.


The College purchases Auto Liability Insurance which protects both the College and the driver from third party liability and third party property damage arising from the use of College owned, hired/rented and non-owned vehicles. The Five College Risk Management web site has more detailed information on this coverage, see Auto Insurance.

Personal Vehicles on Campus

See Personal Vehicles


The College encourages all students to obtain personal property insurance as the College assumes NO responsibility for losses to students’ personal belongings.

Arthur J. Gallagher offers a comprehensive and competitive plan for students, faculty and staff. The plan is designed to cover losses that are not generally covered under a homeowner’s policy. Please click here for additional details.

This plan provides coverage for damages (due to theft, water, fire, vandalism, or accidental damage) to:

· Bicycles
· Computers, laptops, tablets
· Cell phones, cameras, GoPros
· Clothes and books

Please visit www.CollegeStudentInsurance.com or call 1-888-411-4911 for complete plan information or to order a policy today.

* The College does not receive any compensation or consideration for making this plan available to the students.


Individuals can be held liable for causing bodily injury, property damage or financial loss to others.

The College is not liable for the actions of its students, nor is it possible for the College to obtain liability insurance on behalf of its students. Student athletes especially should be aware that if they are sued for injuries or damages caused to others in the course of an athletic event, the Colleges’ insurance does not provide coverage. The liability section of a parent’s homeowner’s policy or renter’s policy may provide for the defense of the student and damages awarded, if any, in a suit alleging negligence. Insurance policies will only cover for negligence; they will not ever insure against loss caused by deliberate acts. Students are responsible for avoiding intentional acts or negligent behavior that could harm others or give rise to adverse legal action.

Although the College will not provide liability protection, they may assist the student in obtaining a defense if it is not provided for by parental or personal insurance coverage.

If a student is involved in an accident or is sued because of an accident, and believes that she was acting in the capacity of an employee, volunteer or agent of the College at the time of the accident, contact your Dean of Students immediately for instructions, and also report the incident to the Risk Manager. If you are aware of any accident that could lead to a claim (lawsuit) you must report it immediately. Failure to report the incident or accident could compromise the College’s ability to defend you if you were acting as agent for the College.

Workers' Compensation

Students who are employed by the College, and who are injured in the course of their work for the College are eligible for Workers’ Compensation. If a student is injured on the job, the student should contact his/her supervisor immediately to report the injury and complete an accident investigation form. Questions should be directed to the student’s supervisor and the Human Resources Office.