The Consortium is governed by a Board of Directors representing the five member campuses.
The Board, the Provosts Council (formerly Deans Council), and the Principal Business Officers (PBOs) meet monthly with the Executive Director and/or other senior staff members of the consortium to oversee and support cooperation in administrative and academic areas. The Executive Director and other staff members administer the policies, projects, and joint programs agreed upon by the institutions. You can view our Articles of Organization and our By-Laws here.
We operate on an annual budget of $8 million, derived from a combination of institutional assessments, grants from outside sources, income from endowments, and other institutional arrangements. You can view our financial statements from recent years here.
Board of Directors 2022-23
- Michael Elliott, President, Amherst College
- Ed Wingenbach, President, Hampshire College (Board President)
- Beverly Daniel Tatum, Interim President, Mount Holyoke College
- Kathleen McCartney, President, Smith College
- Kumble Subbaswamy, Chancellor, University of Massachusetts Amherst
- Martin Meehan, President, University of Massachusetts (non-voting director)
- Board President: Ed Wingenbach
- Board Vice President: Kumble Subbaswamy
- Treasurer: Yvette Morneau; Director of Business Services, Five Colleges, Incorporated
- Assistant Treasurer: Shonda Pettiford, Director of Operations, Five Colleges, Incorporated
- Clerk: Sarah Pfatteicher, Executive Director, Five Colleges, Incorporated
Five Colleges, Incorporated is governed by a board of directors whose members are the presidents of the five institutions, the chancellor of the Amherst campus of the University, and the executive director of Five Colleges. The directors meet monthly to oversee consortial policy, management, and finances.
The Five College Provosts Council (formerly Deans Council) meets four to six times each semester with the Five College executive director and her staff. The Five College Provosts have responsibility for collaboration in academic matters involving shared faculty staff, curriculum and research. They also monitor existing cooperative projects and programs and respond to all major cooperative initiatives proposed by groups of faculty members.
- Catherine Epstein, Dean of the Faculty, Amherst College
- Omar Dahi, Interim Dean of Faculty and Interim Vice President for Academic Affairs, Hampshire College
- Lisa Sullivan, Provost and Dean of Faculty, Mount Holyoke College
- *Michael Thurston, Provost and Dean of Faculty, Smith College
- Tricia Serio, Provost and Senior Vice Chancellor for Academic Affairs, UMass Amherst
*current chair of the group
Other academic administrative groups which coordinate intercampus collaborations
Registrars -- oversee coordination of academic calendars and cross-registration.
Librarians -- through the work of the Five College Librarians Council and ten committees, task forces and working groups, the campus libraries collaborate on joint catalog, collection development and resource management, user services (access, discovery, learning, user experience), digital stewardship, archives, and the Five College Library Repository Collection.
The Principal Business Officers (PBOs) of the five institutions meet monthly with the Five College executive director and the Five College treasurer throughout the academic year to oversee collaboration in various areas of administration.
- Mike Thomas, Chief Financial and Administrative Officer, Amherst College
- Carl Ries, VP for Finance and Administration and Treasurer, Hampshire College
- Mary Jo Maydew - Interim VP for Finance and Administration and Treasurer, Mount Holyoke College
- David DeSwert, Interim VP for Finance and Administration, Smith College
- *Andy Mangels, Vice Chancellor for Finance and Budget Director, UMass Amherst
*current chair of the group