Pre-registration for Fall 2017 starts April 3. Applications may be submitted early. Some languages and course levels will have waiting lists.
The Five College Center for the Study of World Languages offers academic-year courses in less-commonly studied languages for students at Amherst, Hampshire, Mount Holyoke, and Smith Colleges and the University of Massachusetts Amherst. Course sessions meet on all five campuses. Courses are taken for academic credit and are part of a student's regular course load. Five College students are not required to pay any special fees or tuition in order to enroll.
- African Languages: Afrikaans (South Africa), Amharic (Ethiopia), Shona (Zimbabwe), Twi (Ghana), Wolof (Senegal), Yoruba (Nigeria). Limited availability - email for details: Zulu (South Africa)
- European Languages: Albanian, Bulgarian, Dutch, Georgian, Modern Greek, Hungarian, Modern Irish, Romanian, Ukrainian. Limited availability - email for details: Czech, Danish, Finnish, Norwegian.
- Asian Languages: Bangla/Bengali (Bangladesh and India), Burmese (Myanmar), Cantonese for Mandarin Speakers (special admission requirements), Dari (Afghan Persian), Filipino/Tagalog (Philippines), Malay (Malaysia), Mongolian, Nepali, Sinhala (Sri Lanka), Thai, Tibetan, Vietnamese. Limited availability - email for details: Pashto (Afghanistan and Pakistan); Khmer (Cambodia).
- Languages of the Americas: Haitian Creole
- Other languages may be added. Some languages become unavailable for a given semester or there is limited space available. Some languages may appear in the catalog, but only be available intermittently. If you do not see your language of interest, please e-mail for more information.
Charles Mark Scholarships for Study Abroad
Two scholarships endowed by Professor Emeritus Charles Mark support study abroad by Five College Center for the Study of World Languages students. See scholarship descriptions for application requirements and deadlines.