We are still accepting applications for Spring 2017 courses!
We will continue to consider applications on a rolling basis through spring add/drop. Earlier applications get priority in admission and scheduling.
To get first priority in scheduling for Hindi, Persian, Swahili, and Turkish courses, students should submit applications by Dec. 1. Later applicants will need to fit into remaining schedule slots to be admitted.
To get first priority in scheduling for Arabic dialect courses, Indonesian, and Urdu, students should submit applications be Dec. 15. Later applicants will need to fit into remaining schedule slots to be admitted.
Applications for Supervised Independent language courses will be considered through the early part of add/drop as space permits. Some languages will fill up early.
The Five College Center for the Study of World Languages offers academic-year courses in less-commonly studied languages for students at Amherst, Hampshire, Mount Holyoke, and Smith Colleges and the University of Massachusetts Amherst. Course sessions meet on all five campuses. Courses are taken for academic credit and are part of a student's regular course load. Five College students are not required to pay any special fees or tuition in order to enroll.
- African Languages: Afrikaans (South Africa), Amharic (Ethiopia), Shona (Zimbabwe), Twi (Ghana), Wolof (Senegal), Yoruba (Nigeria). Limited availability - email for details: Zulu (South Africa)
- European Languages: Albanian, Bulgarian, Dutch, Georgian, Modern Greek, Hungarian, Modern Irish, Romanian, Ukrainian. Limited availability - email for details: Czech, Danish, Finnish, Norwegian.
- Asian Languages: Bangla/Bengali (Bangladesh and India), Burmese (Myanmar), Cantonese for Mandarin Speakers (special admission requirements), Dari (Afghan Persian), Filipino/Tagalog (Philippines), Malay (Malaysia), Mongolian, Nepali, Sinhala (Sri Lanka), Thai, Tibetan, Vietnamese. Limited availability - email for details: Pashto (Afghanistan and Pakistan); Khmer (Cambodia).
- Languages of the Americas: Haitian Creole
- Other languages may be added. Some languages become unavailable for a given semester or there is limited space available. Some languages may appear in the catalog, but only be available intermittently. If you do not see your language of interest, please e-mail for more information.
Charles Mark Scholarships for Study Abroad
Two scholarships endowed by Professor Emeritus Charles Mark support study abroad by Five College Center for the Study of World Languages students. See scholarship descriptions for application requirements and deadlines.