We are still accepting applications for Fall 2017 and will continue to review applications over the summer.
Note for first-year, first-semester students: With some restrictions by campus, we can sometimes consider first-year, first-semester students for fall enrollment in Hindi, Swahili, and Turkish courses. Interested students should contact us to find out the situation based on your home campus. First-year, first-semester students who have already formally studied another language offered by the Center should contact us to ask about options for fall or spring enrollment. All languages offered by the Center are open to first-year students in the spring semester and level I courses are available in the spring semester.
The Five College Center for the Study of World Languages offers academic-year courses in less-commonly studied languages for students at Amherst, Hampshire, Mount Holyoke, and Smith Colleges and the University of Massachusetts Amherst. Course sessions meet on all five campuses. Courses are taken for academic credit and are part of a student's regular course load. Five College students are not required to pay any special fees or tuition in order to enroll.
- African Languages: Afrikaans (South Africa), Amharic (Ethiopia), Twi (Ghana), Wolof (Senegal), Yoruba (Nigeria), Zulu (South Africa)
- European Languages: Albanian, Bulgarian, Czech, Danish, Dutch, Georgian, Modern Greek, Finnish, Hungarian, Modern Irish, Norwegian, Romanian, Ukrainian.
- Asian Languages: Bangla/Bengali (Bangladesh and India), Burmese (Myanmar), Cantonese for Mandarin Speakers, Dari (Afghan Persian), Filipino/Tagalog (Philippines), Khmer (Cambodia), Lao, Malay (Malaysia), Mongolian, Nepali, Pashto (Afghanistan and Pakistan), Sinhala (Sri Lanka), Thai, Tibetan, Vietnamese.
- Languages of the Americas: Haitian Creole
- Other languages may be added. Some languages become unavailable for a given semester or there is limited space available. Some languages may appear in the catalog, but only be available intermittently. If you do not see your language of interest, please e-mail for more information.
Charles Mark Scholarships for Study Abroad
Two scholarships endowed by Professor Emeritus Charles Mark support study abroad by Five College Center for the Study of World Languages students. See scholarship descriptions for application requirements and deadlines.