Jobs for Conversation Partners
The Center for World Languages is hiring Five College students and local community members who are fluent in other languages to serve as conversation partners.
The Five College Center for World Languages seeks speakers of African, Middle Eastern, Pacific, Eurasian, South, and Southeast Asian languages, as well as less-commonly studied languages of Europe and the Americas, to serve as conversation partners for students in our Mentored and Supervised Independent language programs.
As a conversation partner, you will:
- Meet once a week with individual or small groups of students for conversation practice in the target language
- Design role plays, dialogues, and conversation topics
- Serve as a living link between the students and the language and culture(s) they are studying
- Submit weekly lesson plans and post-session reports on student progress
Conversation sessions are conducted as much as possible only in the target language. Conversation partners are not teachers and do not give grammar lessons or correct homework. Your sole responsibility is to help students practice speaking the language.
The conversation partner role is a wonderful opportunity to share your language and culture, build community, and gain fun and resume-building professional experience.
Positions available: The Center hires 40-50 conversation partners each semester. Conversation partners are hired for one semester at a time based on current needs and enrollments.
Time commitment: 2-4 hours/week
Pay: $15.75–$17.25 for current or recent undergraduates; others should inquire with the Center.
Location: Sessions meet at the conversation partner’s home campus.
- Must be able to speak, read, and write in the target language fluently or at a high advanced level
- Must possess a good command of spoken English
- Must be eligible to work in the U.S.
- Must be able to pass a post-offer background check
- Must have access to a device with video-conferencing capability
- Teaching experience is welcome but not required. First-time conversation partners receive paid training.
- This position counts as on-campus employment for international students enrolled at any of the Five Colleges.
- International students on J-1 visas or who are working a significant number of hours in another position should inquire about eligibility to ensure compliance with employment rules.
- This position is not eligible for work study and does not count toward work study earnings limits.
- Current students (undergraduate or graduate) at any of the Five Colleges are given priority, but we also accept applications from community members.
Applications are accepted on a rolling basis.
Questions? Contact email@example.com.
We welcome applications from native/fluent speakers of the languages listed below. Speakers of other languages are still welcome and encouraged to apply. Please note that we do not have any positions available for speakers of commonly taught languages such as French, Spanish, and Mandarin.
African languages (any)
Arabic (any dialect)
Armenian (Western or Eastern)
Bambara (or Bamana, Mandingo, Mandikan, Maninka, Dyula)
Bangla or Bengali
Cape Verdean Creole
Khmer / Cambodian
Native American languages (any)
Romanian (or Moldovan)
Twi / Akan